Friday, July 06, 2007

Happy Friday

Hello friends. The past two days have been great for Cam's and she continues to make progress. Yesterday her OT was in her room in the morning to help her with dressing/washing skills. As Cameron was brushing her teeth she also started putting her fingers in her mouth which was strange behavior, so I told her to stop. Upon further inspection I realized that she had actually lost a tooth during brushing. Of course it was nowhere to be found so I am sure that she swallowed it. We did however leave the tooth fairy a note so that she would understand the our problem and she visited anyway.

The film crew was here to film their last day of Cameron's "project work" as we call it and they were really amazed. I guess it hits you when people who have not seen her in two weeks are shocked by the progress.

Another family contacted us today that is here, at Johns Hopkins, for another family member but their daughter had a functional hemispherectomy two years ago in Georgia. She is Cameron's age, her name is Abby, and we are going to have lunch with them on Sunday so that our girls can meet. I am really excited to meet them as there daughter has done very well.

Dr. Hartman just came in and talked with us about Cameron's pathology and it was very interesting. She was confirmed Rasmussens but it looks like a mild case. They also saw cells that looked liked cortical dysplasia. This is important because it may be the reason for Cameron's severe seizures and as Dr. Hartman said clinically Cameron is one of the worse cases they have seen. If you have cortical dysplasia on one side you may have those irregular cells on the other. All of this means that they will not be taking Cameron off any medications anytime soon "like years". We are ok with this as currently the medications are not causing her any problems other then hair loss. This is all really complicated and hope it makes sense to everyone. I also asked if this information gave them any concerns and he said "no".

Miss everyone and we will see you soon 7 days to go. Shelly

4 comments:

Beth said...

Looks like Cameron is back!! We're counting down the days 'til you come home! I think Dillon is ready for you to return too. He spent most of today in his kennel. We will take him for a big walk tomorrow and spoil him with a new rawhide bone! Amber says, "Meow" and Coconut says,"blub, blub!" I think that all means, "Just feed me!" XXXOOO

Unknown said...

You all were in my heart and prayers while we were on vacation and I was so happy to read the encouraging report upon returning home. I know it will be so great for all of you when you can be home and Cameron can be around her own "stuff". It's wonderful that you have a great team in place to continue working with Cam when you get home. Feel our prayers and God's blessings, katie

Eileen said...

Hi Motts!

We met Rob and Sara (and boys) today in Hillsborough for lunch and they told us about Cameron's great progress. That's fantastic news!! Sara told me about the blog so I was able to find it this evening. I hope all continues to go well and you are back home soon. Cameron looks great and it sounds like she's working hard - impressive. -Eileen Francis

krista said...

While we were away on vacation, I thought about you guys lots! I was so happy to read such good news when I came home! She has always been so beautiful, but her smile says it all in those pictures...she looks so happy!! Thanks for all the updates, and we can't wait to see you all again.
The Pressleys