Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!!

I still have to call Joe Mott b/c he has not caught the internet or email bug yet--that is another project back home once things settle down a bit.

My first all-nighter in a PICU was interesting. Cameron got her breathing tube out about midnight and they asked that I leave the room for that. Soon after they came out and said she did great. Before for this they had slowly moved her head from her side close to "midline" so her face is up now. The swelling in her eyes in starting to come down and our little girl is starting to take her shape again.

I am amazed at the patience and kindness of the PICU staff. 12 hours shifts are grueling but you can see how they get through it with all of the teamwork. Everyone is helping everyone and I think that is one thing that might make Hopkins different. Anyway Cameron did not move much while I was in there but I hit a wall about 2 am and had to find some place to rest a bit. I created something to prop my feet on and awoke 2 hours later with a crick in my neck. Amazingly this did the trick and I was back in her room at 4. Around that time one of the babies next to Cameron was having a fit--please say extra prayers for these tiny people. Coffee was calling me so I made an escape to get hidrated again. 2 cups later and then it was 7am and shift change. Shelly actually called for the update at that time cause my cell phone was off. 7-8 is the only time we have to be out so I went downstairs to wait for Shelly. I nearly dosed off again sideways in a chair and Shelly had a delay in getting to the hospital. It was 8am before I knew it so I went to see Cameron one more time.

A new nurse in there told me the previous shift told her Cameron did better while I was there. During my little nap while I was out of the room I think Cameron jerked her leg up and they questioned me if I thought that was a seizure. They did not see and funny readings so I don't think it was but more of a release of some bottled up energy. I think my presence there soothes her and maybe that is what they meant that she does "better". PICU night 2 should be better and I have found a new place to actually lay down for a bit if needed :-)

Well, off back to the hospital now. Jim (grandpa) and Shelby (Shelly's niece) are the new visitors today. My family is gone now and the Daubenspeck's will go back to Woodbridge tonight with Caroline. Shelly can have some nice alone time at the hotel tonight but 1st it's baseball time for me!!!!!! Orioles/Diamonbacks tonight at 5pm. Very exicted as I have heard Camden Yards is an awesome ballpark. Nice father's day indeed................

talk to you tomorrow, Casey

p.s.--we will figure out how to post the pictures at some point soon. Jay got some tapes for my video recorder too--thanks my friend--nice suprise with your visit.

12 comments:

The Parrs (Chris, Holly, Colin, Clay, and Mallory) said...

We are so glad to hear that Cameron is doing well. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. We love you guys!!!

Dennis Carroll said...

Connie and I are thankful that Cameron is progressing so well. You are all in our prayers. Your church family loves you and supports you. Take care of yourselves, too!

Amy Hodge said...

Cameron, you are amazing! You are so strong and such a precious little angel! Caroline, I know your Sissy is touched by your prayers. You are a spectacular little sister! We are so happy to hear of Cameron's progress. Casey and Shelly, your strength is absolutely inspiring. God is good! We are so happy to hear how well Cameron is doing. I am a firm believer in JHU Hospital and the love they have for their patients. We love you! Joe, Amy, Emma and Will Hodge

Joe and Melissa Mott said...

We are thrilled to hear about how well the surgery went, and how much of a trooper Cameron has been!! We are praying for Cameron's full recovery and for emotional strength for you guys. We look forward to hearing more news! We love you!

Renee` said...

Thank you so much for keeping everyone that Cameron has touched updated on her progress. I have missed Cameron the past few months and miss her even more so now. Even though I had the chance to work with her only a short time, she had a geat impact on my life (as she does with everyone that meets her)! I am so happy to hear that Cameron is doing well. Our prayers and thoughts are with you! ~~ Renee` and Jacob Lipscomb

Stacy Nicholson said...

Casey & Shelly,

I emailed pictures of our amazing Cameron to Casey's email address and to both of your yahoo email addresses. I am not sure if you all are looking at email so I am posting it here. I miss you all already. I just hated to leave today. Caroline says Hi and she loves you. She cracks me up.

I am so amazed by Cameron. She is a strong little girl. I will see you Wednesday, I wish I could come back sooner.

You all take care of each other
and we will see you soon.

I love you!
Stacy

Lotter said...

Hey guys. I remember when Mike was so sick...he always was at peace when I was in the room. So, I will pray for strength and rest, because I know that is what it takes to make it through those long days and nights at the hospital, with Cam and without Caroline. You two of incrediable strength and courage. I love all of you.
Lotter

krista said...

I am so glad to hear things are going smoothly. Thank you for the wonderful updates! Rhett wants to say "hi" to his buddy, Caroline; and we all send hugs and smiles to Cameron and you all. Cameron is such a strong little girl! Thinking of and praying for you often,
Krista & family
PS...We hope Casey had a great time at Camden Yards. That is one of our favorite places. What a great dad's day!

Amy & Ben said...

Shelly, I don't know if you are checking your email or not? I sent you a message that my Dad lives in Baltimore now and if you wanted to stay with him to save money he would love to have you. He lives about 20 minutes from Hopkins.

Leonora Ingle said...

Your "blogs" are read with keen interest and concern. Know each of you, Shelly, Casey, Cameron, and Caroline, are in our thoughts and prayers. May you feel God's presence. Know we love you and we care. Love, Ed and Leonora Ingle

Mommy P. said...

Hello my friend.

It gives my heart such relief to read that Cameron is doing so well. I am glad to see that you were able to get some rest through all of this, as hard as I know it to be to do so. So many prayers have been answered for Cameron and I am certain they will continue to be answered. I look forward with anticipation to reading the post where you tell us that Cameron is awake and aware and "communicating" with you. It won't be much longer and I know that it will be a most joyous moment full of tears and much relief. You have all come through the hardest part...it is all about recovery now. Stay strong(I know you will) and don't forget to take care of yourselves along the way to. Plese, please let us know what we can do for you from here.

I want to share this verse, which we had printed on the PRAYERS FOR AVERY bracelets we all wore..."And the prayer offered in faith will make them well; the Lord will raise them up." - James 5:15. We cling to and believe so much in those words. I'm sure you do too. Even through our struggles, reading those words many times every day reminded me that God does listen and that He wanted us to pray to Him for what we needed. He wants you to too.

What a journey, huh? God bless sweet Cameron and your whole family! I am so glad that you had so many family and friends around during this time. And Happy Father's Day Casey! I am sure it has extra special sweetness to it this year.

Continuing in prayer for Cameron and your family,
Holly

Chris and Jodi Knox said...

We are so thrilled to hear about Cameron's progress. Your entire family is awe-inspiring! Please know that you are in our constant thoughts and prayers. Much Love, Chris and Jodi