Friday, November 17, 2006

Update on School

Hello everyone. I know it has been a while so I will be updating on several topics over the next few days. Cameron has moved to Pilot Elementary to the Lifeskills class. They have a full time nurse in this class and Cameron is able to keep her personal care assistant. I was honestly very heartbroken about the move for several reasons but as Casey and I see it this is a trial. If it is not a good fit as much as we would hate to do it we would move her back to Jamestown. Cameron and I went to visit the classroom last week and I had a complete breakdown. I don't do this often but Cameron had a bad seizure in the car and then I had to go into the classroom and tell her story all over again. This is the third time as we had originally started out at Florence Elementary. The teacher, assistant and nurse that we met with were very compassionate and we felt good about giving this a try. This classroom is not as acedemic but the teacher grew up with a twin sister that had seizures as well and feels comfortable with the situation.

I did find out on Cameron's first day that they do not have a speech teacher at this time and we are trying to work through this with the school system. This is Cameron' s greatest need at this time to we will pursue the issue until we have resolution. Cameron is also riding the bus which is a great source of joy for her. She is so proud when she gets home and it makes my life so much easier as I do not have to wake up sweet Caroline everyday to pick up Cam's. Next week Cameron will start to ride the bus to school as well. I am a little nervous about this as she will be at school during a the time of day when her seizures can be more active. Please pray for her saftey next week and pray that her caregivers are prepared to handle her needs. Love you all Shelly.

2 comments:

andrea said...

I hope this transition goes smoothly, Shelly. And, as you said, you can always go back if it doesn't work out.

And, Hello! No speech teacher?? What's up with that? Hope that gets resolved soon.

Thanks so much for the update.

Jayne said...

Hi Shelly.
You and Casey are wonderful parents - a very obvious statement to those of us who know you! - but I admire your ability to work through the medical system and the educational system, all while making countless decisions. That's a tough assignment, girlfriend, and you're doing an awesome job.


Jayne